Thursday, August 31, 2006

Why did you sign up for a roots music FYS section?
I decided to sign up for the roots music FYS because I enjoy bluegrass music. I can't believe that I am getting college credit for this! When I was younger, my family danced to waltz and polka music at gatherings. That connection to music most likely fueled my interest in roots music, particularily bluegrass.

If you could take 5 pieces of music with you to a desert isle, what would they be?
"The Lighthouse's Tale" by Nickel Creek
"Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show
"I Am A Rock" by Simon and Garfunkle
"Sweet Baby James" by James Taylor
"A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" by Bob Dylan

What's a piece of music you associate with a parent, grandparent, or someone you know well that's at least a generation older than you.
My grandma used to play "On Top of Old Smoky" on the concertina.

If we all decided to replace the national anthem with a new song, and everyone agreed that you got to choose, what would you recommend?
"This Land Is Your Land" seems about right.

What kinds of music related performance stuff (if any) do you do?
None

Given the readings and what (little) you know about Governor Blanco, if you had a chance to ask her one question, what would it be?
I would ask how growing up with Cajun heritage has affected her and who she is.

No comments: